1. Why was there an explosion of new independent nation-states after WWII?
2. Why was it difficult for these new nation-states to stay neutral during the cold war?
3. Why were many newly decolonized people and governments sympathetic to leftist ideas?
4. What is ironic about the name Cold War? Give three examples to support your explanation (just list them and date them; you dont need to give details).
5. During the Cold War, both the Soviet Union (and Warsaw Pact allies) and the US (and NATO allies) claimed they represented freedom, justice, civilization and progress, and that the other side did not represent these things. Yet both sides overthrew democratically elected governments, covertly and overtly participated in assassinations and civil wars, and supported non-democratic dictatorships throughout the world. How did both sides justify these seeming contradictory actions?