1. What role did the New Deal play in relieving Texas of economic distress?
2. What are the continuities between the traditional one-party state divided between liberal and conservative Democrats and an emerging two-party state divided between liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans? What is distinct?
3. Analyze the economic factors that contributed to a boom and bust in Texas in the 1970 and 1980s when the nation experienced nearly the opposite economic trends.
4. Explain the nationalization of politics in Texas as partisanship and cultural issues supplant local political issues even at the state level.
5. Can Texas sustain its distinctive heritage as it becomes more globally connected, nationally integrated, urban, and ethnically diverse?